Contemporary India Area Studies (INDAS) aims to develop a comprehensive understanding of the present dynamism of India from a holistic and long-term perspective. This research project will be conducted, in collaboration with the National Institutes for the Humanities (NIHU), by the INDAS Network which consists of Research Centers located at Kyoto University, The University of Tokyo, Hiroshima University, National Museum of Ethnology, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and Ryukoku University. Kyoto University will serve as the General Office.
INDAS aims to understand the complex dynamism of contemporary India which is experiencing rapid economic growth and globalization on the one hand, and facing problems such as expanding income gap and environmental pollution on the other. It attempts to establish a holistic understanding of India while paying attention to its diversity, and to locate contemporary dynamics in a long-term perspective.
India has the second largest population in the world. Its political and economic power is rising. Recent developments in India have led to its increased global presence. The way India moves influences the world in a substantial manner. In such a situation, it is crucial to conduct comprehensive area studies on contemporary India (including South Asia) in order to gain a profound understanding of the 21st century world.
INDAS aims to develop the study of Contemporary India through the collaboration of Japanese and international scholars. We have set six important agendas as follows:
- Interdisciplinary approach: To conduct a wide range of interdisciplinary studies on Contemporary India by combining perspectives and methodologies of social sciences, humanities and natural sciences.
- Establishment of research network in Japan: To develop well-organized research networks on Contemporary India in Japan by furthering communications and relationships among researchers and organizations from various backgrounds, regardless of affiliation, age, ethnicity/nationality, gender etc. so as to gain a comprehensive understanding of the multiple aspects of India from diverse viewpoints.
- International collaboration: To further deepen mutual exchanges among researchers on Contemporary India in Japan and abroad. We would especially like to build intellectual research networks with researchers located in South Asia, Europe, North America, and East Asia.
- Training young scholars: To foster the next generation of young scholars who are able to actively engage in Contemporary India Area Studies in the global environment. We offer young scholars opportunities to participate in international and interdisciplinary research and education projects.
- Building research infrastructure: To develop an infrastructure of Contemporary India Area Studies by collecting documentary, visual and museum resources and preparing spatial information database.
- Promoting academic-social networks and enhancing public opinion: To deepen mutual exchanges between academic institutions and international organizations, NGOs, and private companies which have strong relationships with India so as to work towards the construction of academic-social networks and contributing towards creating more informed public opinion on India and Japan-India relationships.
We request your kind cooperation with INDAS to develop a better understanding of contemporary India and the world.